This week has been about gubs. What? That's gloves to most people. Gubs is what my dad calls them. I've no idea where this term comes from but it's stuck.
I finished another pair of Cranford mitts which will be a Christmas gift for someone, as yet undecided. This pattern is one of my favourites and these are a staple of my limited repertoire. The pattern is pretty much committed to memory now, I've made quite a few pairs of late...
|nearly finished, the end are now all sewn in|
Committing a pattern to memory is a good thing as this week's other attempt at gloves has revealed that I am not very good at following a pattern.
Mid-week, I settled down to make a pair of children's mittens for a friend's little boy from The Big Book of Kid's Knits by Zoe Mellor.
I didn't take photos of all the intermediate stages (I was too busy swearing under my breath) but suffice to say that the amount of times I went wrong during a relatively short space of time is quite impressive. Between forgetting to change needle sizes and forgetting to change yarn for the striping, I had to undo various sections. The biggest mistake however, was the fact that I started to knit both the 1st AND the 3rd sizes in the same mitten. It took me until after I'd completed the thumb to work out what was wrong.
The result is that I only have one, very small mitten to show for quite a few hours' work this week.
With a bit of luck I'll have the full pair to show on Handmade Monday next week!
I hope your week has been less full of errors.
Bye for now!